Tuesday, October 5, 2010

In the Company of Women,
San Francisco Ms. Leather: October 2nd

Leatherwomen have always played an integral role in my Leather. As a Leatherboy many years ago, the Women in Seattle played harder than the men. Playing beside them in mixed dungeons always challenged myself to plumb the depths of my dark side. Women were there for me when I found myself in an abusive Sir/boy relationship, providing a safe haven where I could rest. Indeed, the first couple of years of my involvement in the community seem to have been shaped more by women than by men.

Attending the San Francisco Ms. Leather Contest last Saturday was once again a lesson in Leather. As I listened to the contest, I realized the diversity of the women in our community. By this I am not referring solely to ethnicity. I am also referring to roles, femme/butch association, and relationship to social defintions of gender. Very different from the traditional men's Leather community where the perceived level of testosterone maintains its dominance as yardstick.

On Saturday night Miranda, our perky MC, held the sold out crowd in the palm of her hand, controlling the pace of the contest with ease and humor. As one versed in theatre, I applaud her improvisational skills. I especially loved the card game that she introduced, although I did feel slighted that I did not win the "squeal like a pig" segment. I was drowned out by an entire sty of pigs on the other side of the Hotel Whitcomb Ballroom.

Like the new Oregon State Ms. Leather, the winner, Leo Perralta, represents the new generation of Leatherwomen. With her friendly demeanor and open smile, I liked her immediately. I especially enjoyed her fantasy, combining elements of play within a humorous narrative that used choreographed dance segments. I don't think I have ever seen a fantasy that used dance as extensively.

Congratulations, Leo! And to all who took part in the San Francisco Ms. Leather contest on Saturday night.

No comments:

Post a Comment