Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Gay Pride in a Small Town

I spent this past weekend with my partner in Ashland, Oregon. Our bi-annual, theatre pilgrimage to experience the words of the Bard. Much to our surprise, we discovered that it was the first Southern Oregon Pride Parade and Festival weekend.

Although I had promised my partner that this would be a title-free weekend, I always travel with the Leatherman's essentials: boots, vest, and jeans. I also like to bring one of my whips just in case I find an open park where I can practice.

On Saturday morning, rather than see "Hamlet" for a second time, we took part in the festivities. A substantial parade considering that this was the first celebration of its kind. Like any other Pride parade, there were drag queens, supportive Christian churches, and politicians. What was missing was a Leather/Kink presence.

"Keep wearing what you are wearing," two men remarked. "We like what we see." A cruise in Ashland in broad daylight. Throughout the day, more approving looks and smiles in our direction.

It does not take a speech or a sash to be noticed when you are a titleholder. Nor does it take the approval of the Festival's director. Sometimes all it takes is a presence, an openness to those attending the celebration.

Happy Southern Oregon Pride!

No comments:

Post a Comment