Sunday, September 12, 2010

The Art of the Mask


Almost ten years ago I had the luxury of returning to school. "Study what you love," my partner advised me. So I did-

I spent the following three and a half years understanding the mask through which I view the world. I examined the operations of the mask itself, studied the history of masking and Italian street theatre, and, finally, began studying the very particular art of leather mask construction. A very old art that still cannot be duplicated by mechanical methods.


The construction of a leather mask forces the artist to become intimate with the subject. It can be an arduous process, one that cannot truly be valued without learning the actual process itself. It is so personal, in fact, that I have been reticent to share the techniques and the theory. Until this year.

In presenting this workshop, I will be sharing not only design and construction techniques, I will also demonstrate how an understanding can be adapted to impromptu masks, a method that can incorporate long-term bondage. As a very personal fetish (as most true fetishes are), I look forward to sharing masking with my friends and family in Seattle.

Cost for the workshop is $40. Space is limited. All proceeds to benefit the ILSb Travel Fund.

For more information, contact me at ils2010@leathersir.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment