Sunday, August 15, 2010

From the Judge's Chair: Portland, Oregon


I was honored to be one judges last night that chose shell Bishop and Peter Pinn Palermo as Ms. and Mr. Oregon State Leather. Two people in the Portland Leather Community with very different backgrounds in Leather and kink.

shell is owned by a Mamma and a Sir. she is Northwest Community Bootblack 2008. Although young, she has an impressive background in service and play. A femme girl who not only charms through her pixie, good looks, but also through her intelligence and wit. Sexy without being vulgar. she represents the next generation of female titleholders.

Peter has been in the Leather community for just a few years, although he admits that he has been lured by Leather for far longer. Born and raised in Boston, he came to Oregon via Seattle where he did volunteer work for Chicken Soup Brigade and the Tacky Tourists. He identifies as a Radical Faerie. Upon meeting him, I was immediately struck by his dark Italian good looks. Most striking, his eyes that betray the confidence and spontaneity that defined his answers both in the interview and onstage. I was also impressed with his genuine humility and openess to those with more experience.

I always find it difficult to be a judge. Only one person can win. Unfortunately, too many contestants believe that the reason to run for a title is to become number one, to beat out their fellow contestants. But I did not run for either the Northwest or the International titles to win! In fact, I refused to think about winning during the contest. Instead, I focused on doing my best.

Running for a contest is a wild ride. And it is an exercise in building community. At a contest, all the competitors share the same challenges. Backstage at the ILSb/ICBB competition, when someone needed help with a quick change, or when a boot was scuffed
or Leathers needed attention, a fellow competitor was always there to assist. This created a feeling of family that now extends beyond the confines of the contest. As a judge, I expect each contestant to demonstrate this spirit.

The ILSb weekend changed my life. I believe this is because I focused on living each moment to the fullest, to enjoying the communal experience of the contest. To those I judge this year, I encourage you to do the same. Let yourself go and enjoy the ride together with your fellow contestants. Create community. That is what these contests are truly all about.

In bocca al lupo!

No comments:

Post a Comment