Friday, April 15, 2011

Two boys gone WILD! Providence, RI

What happens when two Leatherboys connive to produce the first annual Northeast Leather Weekend? A great fucking contest and a helluva good time!

Jim and Arne aimed high, promising more than a Leather contest. Instead, they planned the first annual Northeast Leather Weekend. “A historic event,” said Jim in his strong, optimistic tone upon my arrival. “You are going to have a great time.” And he was right.

These boys thought of everything down to the smallest detail. I would like to offer a list of those things that made this weekend a success, from my vantage point:

Although the Northeast LeatherSIR/Leatherboy/Community Bootblack contest was the locus of all activities, the overall spirit of the weekend was on building a strong Northeast Leather Community. And the events encouraged not only social interaction but play. In short, the weekend reflected the mission of the International LeatherSIR/Leatherboy/Community Bootblack organization.

  1. The weekend had a primary location, the Providence's historic Biltimore Hotel. The hotel was easy walking distance to all venues. The hotel staff was respectful and friendly. When I arrived at the hotel, one of the producers went out of his way to introduce me to a supervisory member of the staff. “We are honored to serve you,” he said.

  2. Great food! The formal dinner on Saturday night was truly a formal Leather event in the hotel's ballroom with a well-prepared and plentiful dinner served buffet style. And the victory brunch took place on the hotel's eighteenth floor. Both the dinner and the brunch venues were the perfect size for both events.

  3. Good communication. As an International titleholder my schedule has constantly morphed this winter and spring. I appreciated the e-mails from the producers containing updates and details as the event drew closer. I cannot emphasize how important this was to me.

  4. Great accommodations that included travel to and from the airport. Once again, communication was key. The producers told me months in advance about my lodging. After almost nine months, with most of those weekends on the road, knowing this in advance gives the Titleholder a sense of security.

  5. A complete registration packet that included a T-shirt with a hot logo and a detailed map showing the location of all venues.

  6. Although I was a guest, I could not help but appreciate the affordable price of the weekend package. A great value that included the formal dinner and the brunch.

  7. An appropriate location for the contest with good sound facilities, an appropriate stage, good sight lines, and a hot bar staff. Fantasies could be seen by all in attendance without difficulty. And the speeches were all audible, with the sound system appropriately designed to overcome the din of the audience.

  8. A good MC who kept the contest moving. This was a tough to do, especially because the contest was the first event held in the club. William, the MC, did not shy away from the task. Banter was humorous without being too personal or bitchy.

  9. Sir Marco Rosato. What more can be said of this professional who shares his talent with the Leather Community? His participation always raises the bar of any event. Thank you, Marco. Your voice always communicates to my soul.

  10. Contest judges who not only were players, but also understood the overall tradition of LeatherSIR/Leatherboy/Community Bootblack. It was a joy to sit with my peers and interview the contestants. Questions would build on those previously asked. In addition, the interviews were timed well.

  11. The producers worked behind the scenes, allowing the focus to be on the outgoing and incoming Titleholders.

  12. Finally, the total lack of local politics. I despise going to a region where local politics are rampant. I appreciate when producers keep them far away from their out-of-town guests. Not an easy task, at times. I acknowledge not only the Northeast producers but many others who have enabled me to side-step local intrigues. I hate politics in our Community, including the politics in my own region. No part of my Leather!


In the producers' meeting in July I listened with disbelief as Jim and Arne boldly announced that they would be doing a full weekend. As a Boston native, I knew that the Northeast has always posed challenges to contests, especially those that are player and fantasy-based. When I congratulated the producers on a great weekend at the Sunday brunch, they graciously shared the accolades with Hooker and with other ILSb/ICBB producers. Jim explained how Hooker had given them tips over the previous months. They also had gone the extra mile to attend other successful contests including the Southwest Region's event, a favorite with many of the International Titleholders over the years. (Bravo again to Phoenix!)

This year I have attended many great contests. What made this weekend stand out was the professional way that two Leatherboys made this event happen. They dreamed high and worked hard. Thank you, Jim and Arne!

No comments:

Post a Comment