Sunday, November 21, 2010

The Importance of Being Earnest

After four months of rushing from one event to another, I have found myself struggling to maintain the role that Leather has in my life. Leather is the crucible where my sexual identity continues to be formed. Together with my Zen practice, it is the foundation of my spirituality, the means whereby I approach the act of living moment to moment.

Between weekend events and other activities related to fulfilling my role as International LeatherSIR, my partner reminds me gently not to forget who I am as a Leatherman. "Don't forget why you do this," he says when I become too manic. "Don't forget your joy."

It is very easy to forget myself in the bustle of trying to live up to the standard of my title. Without this compass, the sincerity of my efforts begins to erode. This is the danger of all leaders and public figures, whether in the Leather Community or life in general.

This morning I sit next to my partner in Kauai. We are just feet away from the morning surf. I feel the healing ocean breeze and breathe deeply. And I feel concerns fall away with each wave. As we say in Zen, I feel a return to stillness.

I recommend pausing every now and then to all who work within our Community. Stop. Breathe. Returning to stillness allows us to remember who we are and why we give our time, our talents, and our energy. We allow ourselves to understand the brotherhood that is the foundation of Leather. Or, in the terms of the Islands, we begin to understand the spirit of "Aloha."

No comments:

Post a Comment