Saturday, July 31, 2010

I'm Not a Title Holder Type!


After the excitement of Dore Alley and a few nights of good, sound sleep, I have started to digest the results of last weekend’s contest. International LeatherSIR 2010.

For twenty years I have avoided titles. I felt that I could contribute to my community better if I stayed behind the scenes. I reasoned that I was already a leader in my local community, and I was respected as a Sir. I was a player who mentored others in the Tribe. Why did I need a title?

After undergoing the refiner’s fire of this weekend’s contest, I understand. The process of running for a title pushes one beyond comfortable limits. In particular, the International LeatherSIR/boy/Community Bootblack contest is a crucible in which contestants are put to the test over a period of three days. It is a scene that begins on Thursday and ends on Saturday night.

The first day begins slowly, with closed meetings for contestants, producers, and judges. This year the day ended with a Meet and Greet at Mr. S. Leathers and a subsequent welcome at Chaps II. The second day focused more on the head space of the contestants. Interviews, speeches, and a jock strap portion that should be thought of as an exercise in improvisation more than a pose down. The third and final day turned to actual play, with demonstrations and fantasies.

As I stood beside my brothers on the stage Saturday night, I felt proud to be counted as one of them. Also leaders in their respective regions, I felt kinship for having undergone the weekend journey together. I listened as my name was called out and stood in disbelief for a second. I looked down the row on stage, brothers together. All outstanding men. And I stood still for a moment in disbelief.

“How could I have won?” I thought. “I’m not a titleholder type.”

I reflect over the last two decades and realize that there are many types of men that have held titles. I think of Brian Dawson, the International Mr. Drummer the year I inched my way into the community. I reflect on Woody Bebout, a judge this past weekend. I think of the most recent LeatherSIRs. All very different men who have one thing in common. They served their community well during their title years.

I feel honored to add my name to the list of International Drummers and International LeatherSIRs, a line that goes back to 1979. And I look forward to representing the P/players’ community through service.

1 comment:

  1. You may not have consider yourself "Title Holder Type", but many of us feel that ILSb/ICBB is a different type of title. Rod & i look forward to seeing you here in San Francisco for Folsom Weekend.

    ReplyDelete